The teacher in this video was unfortunately fired for her attempted intervention. I find this to be an outrageous overreaction to what was a most challenging situation.
I have the following points to make:
1. How many of us teachers were ever trained on what to do to break up a fight between students. Do you try to intervene? Do you simply wait for security? Do you take a proactive approach or a passive one?
2. This is not your average student fight. This is ultra violent and extremely serious. When the teacher chose to intervene, it was at a point when the child on the bottom looked like he was about to have a serious concussion.
3. I’ve heard people argue that she should have called for security and left it at that. Really? Can’t you see what is going on? What if one of the students involved got a blow to the head which left him brain damaged? How would we view the teacher if all she did was send a child out to alert security?
4. A television reporter suggested she should have physically restrained the fighters. Are you serious? We are teachers not bouncers! She was brave enough to do what she did. Getting in the middle of the fight wouldn’t have been wise. In fact, it would have been suicide.
5. I’ve heard comments made about the unacceptability of hitting students with a broom. This very argument was made by one of the students at the school:
Bernard Barton III, a 19-year-old senior at the school, said the teacher went too far.
“The lady she should have never grabbed the broom. She could have just grabbed the security guard,” Barton said. “He could have got hurt from her hitting him with the broom like that and she should have gotten charged for it.”
Firstly, do you honestly think this teacher goes around hitting her students with brooms? This was an absolutely exceptional case that required a response that goes against the natural character of the teacher involved. Secondly, she didn’t use inappropriate force, she used the bristles for goodness sakes!
6. By firing the teacher they again make the teacher the focal point. This is quite disturbing. Surely the fighting students must be the story here, not the desperate teacher.
7. I want the people that fired her to not only explain why they fired her but to explain what they would have done in such a situation.
Fire this teacher? I would have given her support and guidance, offered her counseling and considered a raise!
Click on the link to read One of the Greatest Teacher Pranks Ever Recorded
Click on the link to read Don’t Fire Caring Teachers
Click on the link to read Should Teachers Allow Students to Call Them by Their Christian Names?
Click on the link to read Let’s See if you Can Work Out Why This Teacher was Suspended
Click on the link to read Why Healthy Eating Laws in Schools Don’t Work
Click on the link to read You Can’t Have Your Lunch and Eat it Too